Tuesday, March 8, 2016

When did writing conferences become vacations

   Somehow, something I started to make money is actually a hobby. I've never really had a hobby. I've read a lot my entire life. I put a lot of effort into my job. I've had many, many animals. I love to travel. I've traveled a bit.

Growing up in a military town, I have always loved people from different countries. I took cardboard, newspaper and magazines to be recycled. There was magazines for Indian-Americans. Of course I dragged them out to look over. They will travel around in the trunk of my car until I dump them out next time with the recycler. There is never enough time.

I am so ambitious with my writing. You would think I would write a bit more than I do. I have been a bit paralyzed writing some stories. I sing them in my head. Think of a bit more depth for each one. Write specific scenes. Disorganized is an apt description. I am organizing and actually finishing some projects. This year is my time to submit some of what I've been writing.

My first start is with a conference I'm going to in June. It is the Southeastern Writer's Conference at St. Simons, GA. I went last year but did not take advantage of their many opportunities. I wasn't ready and part of this deal is to relax and enjoy the process. There is a part of me that has a hard time coughing that out. I've always been so driven.

I've signed up for two more conferences. One is the Writer's Police Academy which is organized by Lee Lofland and Sisters in Crime. The other is Silverhart in Louisiana by husband and wife Scott Silverii and Lilian Hart. Meanwhile my writing is drifting from pantsing to plotting.

Now whether I attend any of them is of question. I have paid the conference fees. I have not bought an airline ticket for the Writer's Police Academy. I delay paying more than I have to. Last year, I did not know for sure whether I would get to attend any of them until the day before. My sister had a heart attack the week before the Southeastern Conference. Who knows what the year will bring.

Anyway, what conferences have any of you attended?


8 comments:

  1. I don't consider myself a writer so I haven't looked to attend any conferences. I know hubby has attended some over the years for his work; he has one employee that comes with him to some of them; they think it is a sort of vacation and take advantage of all that the hotel might have to offer, scheduling a massage at the employer's expense, etc. Conferences and meetings can be very fact finding and learning adventures. Hope if you decide to attend the ones you signed up for you come away with a bit more than you knew before you started.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At heart, I am a lifelong student. I enjoy the writing conferences. I've learned a lot. The one on Saint Simons is a great social conference. The other two are great as a suspense, mystery reader. I even enjoyed the teaching conferences I went ot as a teacher.

      Delete
  2. A vacation they can be if one can spend a few extra days and they are around somewhere fun. Never been to one though, way too far away from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I bet there are some good ones in your neck of the woods. You should go to one if the cats will allow. My little BoDuke is so bad at the kennel and at home in a different way, I have though of making him a service vest and sneaking him along. (Just kidding) It would be funny to have a service vest on your cats or maybe a service vest on a python would be viral.

      Delete
  3. I attend and help run as a board member, The Pennwriters Annual Conference every year in May. I love spending time with other writers and the conference caters to all genres and levels of writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do learn much from other writers. It is good to listen to others. It improves what you do. A good critic is the best.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully no one in your family has a heart attack this year!
    I've never been to a writer's conference. There aren't any near me and I really don't like to fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to go to a conference. You would be a great presenter. It is hard to find a conference worthwhile to go to. You don't really know if the conference is good until you go to it.

      Delete

Your thoughts.

Look out A to Z, I'll be back.

 A to Z theme reveal. Well this theme is pretty weak. It is Dogs I have loved, fairy tales, myths, cats birds and what grows in my yard...  ...