Monday, April 24, 2017

U - Eudora Welty

I have the complete works of Eudora Welty. The idea of reading a bit of her writing with a portion of Flannery O'Conner's book "The Habit of Being" about an hour before sunrise and my house is quiet. And like a pianist playing an impassioned, loud piece of music, I start typing my masterpiece. You're never too old to dream or embellish in my case.

The reality is at 5 am, I call my brother on his cell phone and tell him to get up. Usually, I go back to sleep. My two dogs know we don't wake the house up until daylight comes. It gets light outside at about 6:30 am. But pandemonium happens when we get up. We have a pack of chihuahua mixes that can create a cacophony that I am sure startles the dead for their three mile run and my half mile stroll.

Upon return, all dogs go to their daytime beds in the house and I take my brother to the bus that will take him to the workshop he attends. Then I feed the hounds which concludes with another walk. I cook breakfast for the others in the house. I assist my sister with her morning rituals before she eats. Since I have energy in the morning, I do chores. Somehow during this time, I've taken the garbage out, tossed the scrap bowl in the front field, washed dishes, made coffee, and a couple of odds and ends like starting a load of clothes in the washer.

So the books sets primly on a bookcase. I have read several of Eudora Welty's short stories. Being a Southerner, so much written about the South seems a bit overdrawn and false. But the characters drawn by Welty probably existed somewhere besides Welty's mind.

Welty was known as well for her photography as for her writing. A sense of place tells part of her stories which melds with keen observations of how people relate to one another. Welty employs mythological symbolism in her work.








5 comments:

  1. This is another author I think I want to try reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann - Eudora Welty - good name for an author .. and I'm sure I've come across her name before ... must be the Eudora - an uncommon name ... but a great U for today ... love the photos of all the animals - cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/u-is-for-unicorn.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What adorable dogs! Love the black and white ones, they look a lot like my little terrier mix who is sleeping beside me right now.
    That is an usual name. I may have to jot that one down for future character use. :)
    Discarded Darlings - Jean Davis, Speculative Fiction Writer, A to Z: Editing Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little cheat U haha but sounds like a great one indeed. The pups are all having fun as around they run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me want to read Welty. I don't know enough about the deep South to judge how much of literature about the region is overdrawn. It's good to know where to turn if I want an accurate picture.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts.

Royalty

 As an  American, the British royalty is not my business. Why do Amerians like the British royalty? For me it is that it still exists. I lov...