Friday, September 22, 2017

I went to Africa yesterday.



Ready for a little traveling? You'll be back in an hour or two.

Positive letters is written by Hillary Melton-Butcher. As an anglophile, I love the trip through England and the history she shares. This is a brilliant blog.

A new find for me is Leaves on my Tree by Emma Springfield. I like her reminiscences. I've learned new things such as restacking bowling pins at the bowling alley before technology. My parents did not have an extended family. So I love reading the stories of people when they describe their families back in the day like Emma does.

I love Baili and I .  The writer lives in Pakistan and shares pictures of her home, town, family, wisdom.

Then back to the American prairies with this crazy mountain man who posts such a lovely pictorial narrative of wildlife and the happenings in Iowa.  Out on the Prairie

Elephant's Child photos are such homey, delightful pictures of flowers, birds and local sights near Canberra, Australia. My favorites are of the bright red and green King's parrots and Jazz and Jewel, two admirably beautiful black cats. Elephant's Child
.
But the piece de resistance was my discovery this week of Diane Stuckey's blogs and the publication of her mom's diary of her family's move from England to what was Rhodesia in 1953. It is so fascinating. Of all the continents, Africa has always fascinated me the most. If I could spend my days however I want, it would be walking this Earth and just looking.

For a dollar fifty US, you can get the breezy read of her mom's account of their journey. I've read most of it. I plan to finish it later today. The Great 1953 Trek on kindle.

These are her blogs.

The great 1953 Trek

Life before Charente

Life in Charente

My life in Charente 2

Now to put another load of laundry in the washer and get a few chores done.

Bon Voyage.




12 comments:

  1. Sure some great blogs there that take us to a whole new part of the worlds with each lair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading your book Delivered today. It is hard to set down.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much.
    There are some wonderful blogs aren't there? Education, entertainment, delight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are some wonderful blogs. I've decided to post more pictures in future blogs. What may be everyday for me could be of interest to people who live far from me.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Ann - I really appreciate you highlighting my blog - and I love the others you've noted for us to look at ... I'm glad I interact with them all ... we can learn so much from others around the world and see nature at its best as well as be educated in so many ways ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog may be as close to England as I ever get and I appreciate it so much.

      Delete
  4. Ann thanks so much for you very kind comments, I really appreciate them. It was an amazing trip for two people to take on with two small children in the days not long after the war. I am just glad that I was old enough to remember most of it, and of course my Mum's diaries and photos bring it to life for me. Take care and enjoy Sunday Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read your mother's account, I could not help but think as a teacher. It would be wonderful for children to read as they study Africa. It is a tremendous account. Your parents were exceptional people to plan and brave the trip.

      Delete
  5. I read them all, fun to share with a similar group of friends. Thanks for the pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gave me lots of places to visit on a Sunday night when I'm fed up with football on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a regular at some of the blogs you mention. Africa is endlessly fascinating. Travel is too, generally. Thanks for the travel tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Hilary's blog! And Elephant's Child has some of the best writing prompts. I'll be adding the rest you mentioned to my list, just because you recommend them!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts.

Look out A to Z, I'll be back.

 A to Z theme reveal. Well this theme is pretty weak. It is Dogs I have loved, fairy tales, myths, cats birds and what grows in my yard...  ...