Friday, September 18, 2020

 Hurricane Sally roared through Wednesday night. No damage, no loss of power, lots of water, no tornadoes. It went well for a powerful storm in central Georgia. There weren't many trees downed due to softened soil and the high winds. Of course the gulf coast had a more violent experience.

One of my cats spent the night out. She was tormenting a 3 inch long grasshopper when I took the animals out. Thursday is garbage day. My merry crew and I took the trash truck to the road. I have some very large Pecan trees close to the road. I was pleasantly surprised that there weren't very many limbs from the storm tossed to the ground.

We had about 8 inches of rain. I was wakened about 2 am by an alert on my phone. Afraid it was a tornado warning, I got up to read that roads were flooded. I would think flooded roads would be secondary to a lack of visibility due to the amount of water that was falling in the darkness of night with no stars or moon to give light. I finally lay back down about 3 am. 4 am, the same alert. Wide awake, I made a pot of coffee in case the power went off. I drank the pot of coffee and made another pot for the family when they woke up around 8 and 9 am. 

I expected to see large pools of water that morning. It had been dry the week before so I think the plants and Earth could handle the water better. You could see the tall grass bent from the flow of water. So I guess the rain was what they would call a gully washer versus a trash mover.

We've seen a shopping plaza on one of the weather channels. That shopping plaza was a marsh about twenty years ago. The Flint River is not exceptionally high. Where I live, we have storms but not a lot of damage or flooding. You do need a good roof on your house.


View of an overgrown pasture.



Cotton, The bolls will get bigger and there will be more of them on the plant in about two weeks.


Soybeans. When the plant has died back and the pods are dry, they will be harvested.



It is a small gray dog that is rolling on the driveway. The brown dog is her sister. The rest are cats.

I like this picture.  Two of my cats have stub tails. The black one, Cassiopeia, is the mother of the others.



Buzzards on a Cell Phone Tower.



Magnified view of the buzzards.


 

I hope your week has gone well. 

As I finish this post, it is all over the news that we have lost Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg. She was a remarkable woman. I would like to write something profound; but, like many, I am stunned and saddened by her passing. 

15 comments:

  1. Wow with all that rain and all those buzzards! The West Coast sure could use some of that rain.

    I didn't really follow Ruth Baden Ginsburg's career but hearing about it she was remarkable and lived an amazing life. Certainly opens up possibilities for the Supreme Court but we won't think of that yet and just mourn her loss.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same about our deluge of water. It would be great for the West. In about two weeks, the rains will hopefully start and put out the fires. They have been devastating.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you seem to have escaped the worst of the storm damage. Love your animals - and the buzzard shots are spectacular.
    Ruth Baden Ginsburg enriched the world and will be sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have large colonies of buzzards. Generally they go for water towers. These guys are attracted to a garbage way station plus we have an unfortunate number of road kill. Interesting enough, they do not eat wild hogs.

      Ruth Bader Ginsberg was a gift to the United States. There is always a level of corruption in humanity; but, it has seeped into a higher level in the States. She did try to save us from that corruption to her dying breathe.

      Delete
  3. Glad the storm didn't do any damage. Just got a lot of rain here as well.
    That is a lot of buzzards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really looks clean after a heavy rain. I'm glad no damage happened either.

      Delete
  4. You didn't get much sleep but at least the alerts were only for flooding and not tornadoes.

    Are those turkey vultures? I've never seen more than 20 in one spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right. Tornadoes are not good.

      They are black vultures. I understand that those that congregate at landfills do not stay a long time. With that many, that is a surprising piece of information. I understand buzzards are having a population boom in the Southeast.

      Delete
  5. I am sad today - because of RBG's death. She was a well liked person and lived an incredible life. Bless her heart, she can finally rest in peace. She struggled so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RBG was an incredible person. You've said it best.

      Delete
  6. So glad that you had no major damage. Gosh I don't think I have ever seen so many buzzards in one go, an amazing shot. Have a great weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh. Look at those buzzards.
    Glad you didn't have any ill effects from your deluge of rain.
    You've got quite a crew of critters. Looks like all sorts of fun at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ann -that was a storm ... but they do vary don't they - the wind can be horrific. However I'm glad the storm didn't damage your surrounds ... while 'the buckets of rain' can take its toll. Glad all was well - though lack of sleep is never good ... take care and stay safe - HIlary

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am glad that storm in your area are not big threat dear Ann
    your cat's night out sounds interesting :) i loved these furry friends of your' so adorable indeed :)

    thank you for glimpses of your beautiful surroundings ,loved the lush serene environment and cotton seems intriguing ,last week we watched lots of cotton fields during drive ,fascinating :)
    more blessing to you and family my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These storms are given such friendly names but they actually create so much havoc on the contrary

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts.

Look out A to Z, I'll be back.

 A to Z theme reveal. Well this theme is pretty weak. It is Dogs I have loved, fairy tales, myths, cats birds and what grows in my yard...  ...