Monday, July 17, 2017

Who let the dogs out?

My chi's had their fur all up and Jobelle came back squawking in fear. I stepped out hoping we were not running from a rabid fox or coyote or armadillo. It was a large yellow puppy much bigger than them.

You just can't leave a baby to fend for itself. He arrived July 2nd. I thought it might be fireworks that sent him running from where he came. He has since doubled in size and is turning red. Remarkably friendly and wanting to be a part of the pack, I'll have to let my hostile chi Boduke run with him and let them settle the score. I don't want the score settled when Little Red becomes full sized.

There is an animal rescue that will post the animals I have found. This is convenient in that maybe it will lessen the number of dogs dumped on this road. Two different neighbors shoot the dogs that are dumped. One might enjoy it. The other one gets angry doing it. You can't take care of every dog that is dumped. Another man has about 30 dogs. I don't like something defenseless to go hungry; but, Ten is my max.

Fortunately, I have not had to start shooting dogs. I want to get some chickens, and we eat those chickens. My mother and sister don't think I can kill a chicken. Well maybe they are right. But I would still like to get some chickens.

Little Red looks like he is mostly Golden Retriever which is a wonderful dog. Dogs earn their keep. No one sneaks up on this house. I dare say we are low on the list of home invaders. Who wants to deal with a pack of dogs in the house. But I don't plan to go for the full thirty.

The chi's are therapy dogs in their own way. Louise the pitbull is my therapy dog.

I came across prompts for summer and remembrances of summer camp was offered.

As a girl scout, I did a lot of hiking and camping. I would say girl scouts instilled a lot of my love of outdoors; but, my family life was more responsible. We always went berry picking as a kid. My grandmother lived in the country. I remember chasing fireflies in tall weeds covered in flowers. Bringing a bunch to my mother, mom and grandma both start hollering to not bring those weeds in. They were covered with bugs.

I remember a pack of wild dogs approached my family as were walking back from picking blackberries close to the Echeconnee Creek. My dad, mother and siblings were close to the car and hopped in. I was straggling, and we were parked on a dirt road on a hill. The road had washed into deep gullies. My dad yelled run and he backed that car close to the edge of a rut. I don't know how I got in the car so fast. I'm sure one of my older brothers yanked me in while another one shut the door. The car was surrounded. Dad floored it and we were out of there with plenty of berries to make pie.

My parents had two sets of kids. There is me the lone female with three brothers. I was so spoiled in that my dad favored me. I was a regular five year old tyrant. Those were the days. I have two sisters who were born later. They always informed me how gross I was. Growing up with brothers and a neighborhood filled with boys, I was a major tomboy. I came by those tomboy ways honestly. My mother was one. My grandmother Ada Prestwood was one. Grandma lost her first baby due to jumping over a turf row.

In the early 1990s, my older brother Gene's wife threw him out of the house, and he was laid off later that week. He came to stay with me in the Atlanta area. Atlanta is an oasis of jobs for people in Georgia. Long story short, I cooked chili one night and we both had a gas attack later that evening and we reminisced about all the "fart" jokes. I knew why I was gross. It was my brother's fault.

My brother found a job within a day of coming to my house in Atlanta. He has since retired and lives outside Atlanta. He plans to move down here one down. But it is hard to move and I don't know if he has it in him to get it done. Plus he has a dog that is scared to ride in a car. He plans to let Miss 14 year old Sadie live out her days and then get serious about moving.






10 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with being a tomboy.
    Hopefully someone claims that dog. He sounds beautiful. I don't understand why people dump animals. Or shoot them for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot are lazy. I had a teacher friend who would share how they dumped a golden retriever in a neighborhood of big houses like they did something good. The fact the animal may have gone straight to the dog pound never entered the scenario. That sort of animal is so easy to give away.

      Delete
  2. Farting away can be fun at ones bay lol

    30 dogs? Wow, he has a ton. Yard must be landmine central. People who dump animals can go get hit by a truck. And those who shoot, will hopefully shoot themselves in the foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooner or later, you will write the dictionary of farts. laughing louder

      A pack of wild dogs can be quite dangerous here. So I can understand someone shooting them. But it is a waste of a fine animal for sure.

      Delete
  3. Little Red sounds lovely. Sigh at the dumpers and shooters. My pacifist self would let the dogs live. Not so certain about the dumpers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a shooter. But I would shoot an aggressive animal of any sort that showed up on my property. I want to fence around my home separate from my property to keep my dogs and us safer. Big Red is going to be a member of my pack. The chi's are still saying no way though.

      Delete
  4. I don't get people dumping dogs and cats. We don't see it much where I live but my sister in Washington State sees it a lot. She has three dogs and has to call the animal shelter when more show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had the luxury of animal control. I get a population of feral cats down near the road. It will last awhile. But coyotes get them. Dogs usually don't last long after being dumped which is unfortunate.

      Delete
  5. When we lived in Southern California during the depression years around 2008-2010, lots of houses were being foreclosed. People would dump their dogs, many of them pit bulls. (I might have mentioned pit bulls scare me.) I was thankful for the day when I was out walking our corgi early one morning when a car I had seen driving ahead of me suddenly turned around and came quickly back down the street and stopped right by me. The people in the car had seen 3 pit bulls further up the street and came back to offer me and the dog a ride home. I was so appreciative. For me, I just never knew if a dog would attack or not and our dog had been attacked on 4 separate occasions. I did hear that those 3 dogs were picked up. I sadly think what their fate might have been. Before we got our dog, one of the things we both agreed about was the dog would go with us whenever/wherever we moved. Sadly others think of them as disposable property.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I believe in guardian angels. You and your corgi were being protected that day. Pit bulls can be so dangerous especially in groups. I rescued one that I had to get rid of in that I did not think I could handle two powerful animals. Although I suspect Louise is like the cowardly lion.

      I don't believe in dumping. I suspect the dog I lost recently, Holly may have been dumped by someone down on their luck. I don't know why I felt that way. One of the reasons I felt so sad for her is most of her life had been so rough.

      Delete

Your thoughts.

Look out A to Z, I'll be back.

 A to Z theme reveal. Well this theme is pretty weak. It is Dogs I have loved, fairy tales, myths, cats birds and what grows in my yard...  ...