Monday, October 28, 2013

Who ate the ice cream?

This is my trifecta entry. If you live with anyone in your house, I know you have hid ice cream. Don't even pretend you haven't. Anyway here goes my entry. I had to use the third definition of

boo 

1 (interjection)
used to express contempt or disapproval or to startle or frighten

2 (noun)
a sound that people make to show they do not like or approve of someone or something

3 (verb) to show dislike or disapproval of someone or something by shouting “Boo” slowly
 
 
 
 
 
Pink lips pursed like grandmother, blond tendrils curl down her neck, Angelica nudges grandmother who pauses from her crocheting and gives her a serious nod about the buttons Angelica sews on a piece of cloth.

Keys rustle in the door, Angelica's mom, Sara enters.

“Angie, lets get it together. We got to stop at Newberry's before it closes.”

“Mom, we're watching a movie.”

Grandmother grabs the remote. “It's OK, I'll record the ending.”

“I want to watch it now.”

“Get in the car.”

Angelica sits with her little arms folded over her project staring straight ahead.

Mom stands in front of her. After a pause, Angelica slams her project in her backpack and stomps out.

“I can tell you one thing darling. If my little nugget ever gets in trouble, it will because she decided to.”

“Mom, why are you telling me that!”


Sara slips on the seatbelt. Angelica asks. “How do you spell boo?”

Ready for the atmosphere to lighten, mom spells boo.

Arriving at the department store, mom looks at daughter.

“I don't want to go in.”

“You are going in.”

“My note.”

“Write it while I cook supper.”

In silence, mom and daughter walk into the store.

Later at the kitchen table, Angelica has her special pack of crayons, she sharpens. The light falls with her small face in shadow. Sara cannot believe she made something as perfect as Angelica.

Older brother, Sammie comes home. He puts his basketball on the recycled paper box, book-bag on the hook, washes his hands, sets the table. Beautiful brown eyes twinkle when he says, “Spaghetti, my favorite.”


After dinner, Angelica gives Sara the note.
“This is so pretty. Run upstairs. I'll draw your bath.”
 
Boo, boo, boo is written inside.

Sara looks at her husband, “I've hid some ice cream for later.”

Sara carries dishes to the kitchen, Sammie smiles broadly as he eats ice cream.













3 comments:

  1. Good one, Ann! I love how you worked the prompt in there, and I love that there was ice cream too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good write, Ann. I loved the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life doesn't stop for a minute with kids around.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts.

Look out A to Z, I'll be back.

 A to Z theme reveal. Well this theme is pretty weak. It is Dogs I have loved, fairy tales, myths, cats birds and what grows in my yard...  ...