Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Eagles

I love all animals. Birds are probably my favorite. The mascot for my high school was an Eagle. I chose my college because it had an Eagle as a mascot plus they did not have an application fee.

Some Eagle facts.

1. Bald eagles do not have white heads as juveniles for their first 4 or 5 years of life. It gives them a pass to fly through other adult's territories until they are ready to  get out on their own and have their own territory.

2. Bald eagles are native to North America.

3. Bald eagles mate for life.

4. Bald eagles are no longer endangered. They are classified as a threatened species.

5. The largest recorded Bald Eagle's nest was 9 1/2 feet wide and 20 feet tall. (3 by 6 meters)

6. Life span of 28 years.

7. Not the smartest breed of birds. That would be the parrot family.

8. Weigh between 10 to 14 pounds. Wingspan is 72 to 90 inches. (6ft to 8ft) (2m by 2.5 m)

9. Bald Eagles can lift 4 pounds.





If I could do anything I wanted, I would rehabilitate wildlife specializing in raptors such as falcons, hawks and eagles. Below, you can see the relationship between the man and the Golden Eagle. I love it.


Kyrgyz man with golden eagle

Kyrgyz man with golden eagle






8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the birds of prey like hawks and falcons. They are so magnificent. Conversely, I also love quail which can be a "food group" for birds of prey. Before we moved, we did have the privilege of seeing a few eagles; magnificent creatures!

    Of course when I saw your eagle post, I immediately thought of the band :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an eagle poem to share with you. This really happened,during the time I lived and worked in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. The beginning is rough; I started the poem too soon. But the ending is better.

    Cheers from another raptor lover!

    http://shanjeniah.com/2012/10/17/firehole-river-splash-octpowrimo-oct-17-2012/

    Boldly Going Through the Alphabet!
    @shanjeniah
    Part-Time Minion for Holton's Heroes
    shanjeniah's Lovely Chaos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good they aren't endangered anymore. Parrots sure are smart birds indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eagles are so cool when they soar overhead. Saw them in Yellowstone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such majestic creatures. Isn't is wonderful how nature protects the young?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look regal and they are vicious but they can turn out useful!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts.

Look out A to Z, I'll be back.

 A to Z theme reveal. Well this theme is pretty weak. It is Dogs I have loved, fairy tales, myths, cats birds and what grows in my yard...  ...