Tuesday, February 5, 2013

When it comes to reality TV shows, I...


 When it comes to reality TV shows, I...

wonder whose reality is there. It is not the people who inhabit the show. For one thing, no one has that many events in a day or two. Why else are people so addicted to television viewing or reading. Who reads a story about cooking dinner, eating dinner, cleaning up, watching television, taking a shower, brushing your teeth, putting on your nightclothes, crawling into bed. 

And for that matter, since when has anyone really cared what you had to say. This races through my mind when I listen to some of the not so profound comments made by reality show participants. Yes, I have watched Big Brother one time too many.

Of course if you get naked, turn on your webcam. I'm sure there might be someone wanting to watch you and your partner even though it's been 50 years since you turned a somersault. You might find yourself and your spouse on the front of DVD cover titled "late life freaks" at a gas station in Singapore. Your stretch marks could become famous. Talk about reality TV.

Being a native Southerner, I am familiar with the good, the bad and the ugly. I also know it is fairly similar all over the world since human nature is what it is.

This is why I know these shows are scripted. The South is unique in that good manners permeated all social classes and ethnicity. When they show the Honey Boo Boo clan having big farts for the camera, that is scripted. Mythology runs deep in the collection of "swamp gator". reality shows based in the South.

I predict Honey Boo Boo will get a chance in life that would have been more difficult to achieve. She's a smart, loud little girl. Frankly, only her mother could love that behavior non-stop. When I watch the show, I see a little pensiveness and reservation before the loud behavior. The reality of Honey Boo Boo is that June's girls may get an education and an idea that there are real jobs in the world versus collecting welfare.

Reality television says more about the people who watch it. I watched Anna Nicole in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. For a moment a fan asked her a matter of fact question and Anna Nicole for a moment left her persona and said "It's a way to make a living." Then poof, Anna Nicole, the personality was back. God rest her and her son's soul.

There is something we learn from most everything. I enjoy the Amazing Race and Survivor. I tape the Biggest Loser and fast forward to the weigh in. It's amazing how much these folks lose. But, I have a hobby. I get out and talk to people. It's a shame to lose the reality of your life to manufactured realities.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts.

Politics

Politics make me think of the aftermath of the Civil War. I had family on both sides of the Civil War. It is with a bit of irony that Georgi...