Monday, April 6, 2020

Easy Come Easy Go

I am ambivalent in this post title in that it has unleashed an ear worm which is not even a style of music I enjoy but tolerate. I just knew it had to be Justin Bieber. To my surprise it was Bruno Mars song, Granade.

In my search numerous songs use the phrase. Bobby Sherman brings me back to my preteen years and the magazine Tiger Beat. I would fantasize about all these boy singers being my potential spouse and of course we live happily ever after. Then I grew up.


What glitters is not always gold. I always felt sad when I read about the difficult lives so many of these promising young people led. It's interesting that those that went on to live ordinary lives like Bobby Sherman seemed to fare better. Today Sherman is 76. He pursued careers as an EMT and police officer. He married two times and has two sons. There is not much info on his personal life.

I got other thoughts on the matter. Some of becoming a writer is observing people. Some observations come with age.  Life is mercurial and there certainly aren't simple outcomes. 

I've had a lot of dumb luck in my life. The fact that I am quiet, people have assumed that I was smarter than I was. One time when buying the house I live in now, the realtor gave me the terms of making a bid. I was looking over the document ready to consent. She mistook my quietness for waffling and reduced the earnest money amount considerably.

At the time I bought this house, I had hit the proverbial brick wall trying to find a home for us. I did not love the house but it had what we absolutely had to have to be comfortable. Plus, I loved the small amount of land.

One thing that is true when you sell or purchase a home, you wheel and deal like a few thousand dollars is not much. I've lived in this house for almost 17 years which is longer than I have lived in any home. My parent's purchased the house I spent the most years of my life growing up in 1958. I moved out in 1974. At the time I was ready to move on. I was chomping at the bit to move out. 

My mom sold it in 2005. She moved into my house in 2003. The neighborhood had gotten sketchy. I still drive through. A big part of my life still rambles through that neighborhood. I miss that house terribly. In a way, that house is my greatest easy come easy go experience.



8 comments:

  1. The house I grew up in which my mother made her home when she moved to Austalia was demolished after her death. A McMansion went up in its place.
    Part of the demolition job involved uprooting a thirty year old wisteria and concreting over the ground where it grew. A year or so later I will admit to smiling as I saw the wisteria shoots breaking through that concrete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wisteria is a stubborn plant. I would be pleased to see it breakthrough. I am ambivalent with McMansions. Where I live is in the middle of nowhere. On the other side of the road, the land has been purchased by "big fence" people. It feels funny when they purchase a home and bulldoze it. Oh well, that is rich folk problems and not mine.

      Delete
  2. The house I grew up in was sold the week after my mother passed. I went by it the following year, when visiting to clear out the storage unit, but I felt no ties to it. I'd been gone too long at that point, almost 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad said never name cars or houses, it is harder to leave them behind. He always said the house was held up by sound waves. We were a noisy lot. The house didn't have a name. But I am afraid his theory is not right. I feel nostalgia for most places I lived. I miss an apartment complex I lived in East Point GA. The area is not that great a place to live in now.

      Delete
  3. The house I grew up in for my first 7 years I recently found out had a murder committed in it. From what I read in the news a jealous boyfriend went to the wrong house to take revenge and set the wrong house on fire. There was someone sleeping at that house and she couldn't get out in time and she died. He was charged with murder and arson. Her obit showed she was an amazing woman. Not sure if the house was rebuilt after that.

    I didn't know that about Bobby Sherman. I too thought he would be marrying me. Lol.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you didn't marry Bobby Sherman. lol, Those were the days. A murder is quite a selfish act. I've never understood such unbridled anger. I understand divorce attorneys have a very dangerous profession.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy Bruno Mars, though not necessarily that particular song.
    If ever I'm on the west side of town, I do drive by my childhood home. So many memories. The dwarf grapefruit tree that my grandma planted out back has grown up taller than the house and can now be seen from the mailbox out front! It's comforting to see that some things don't change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree is not quite a dwarf anymore. It is good to visit your blog. Take care.

      Delete

Your thoughts.

Look out A to Z, I'll be back.

 A to Z theme reveal. Well this theme is pretty weak. It is Dogs I have loved, fairy tales, myths, cats birds and what grows in my yard...  ...