Thursday, April 16, 2020

Lean In

I never read the book by Cheryl Sandberg of Facebook. There is a bit of me that feels a bit of irritation with a book like this. I can see someone reading the book who needs help searching for words of wisdom.  The other part is that no matter how wealthy Sandberg is; she does not not have everything. No one has everything. The synopsis did look like a wealth of information for the upwardly mobile career woman.

There is a piece of me that has witnessed people with clout assume they were as brilliant as the attention of the captive audience they had. Privilege is only felt by someone once they lose it or been a member of that captive audience. The novels and stories this line of thought could generate.

When I was younger, I was ambitious. The problem was. I did not have a specific goal in mind. The one thing I did learn along the way was there were a lot of opportunities that I did not take serious. I'm sure some would have been big duds. One was the invite to help a little theatre build sets. Like most of my life, I worked a lot and I passed the opportunity in that I wanted more leisure free time. Looking back, I would have met some interesting people and been introduced to writing earlier.

You do have to make time for what is important which is my version of leaning in. I keep a stack of books close to my chair. I've learned to turn the television off. A lot of what I do is what I have to do. This is the story of my life. I made most decisions by what needed to happen.

I make time for what is important.

And apparently it is yard work and flower beds that are important. Setting the timer on the stove when you are cooking is important too. How else do you stop scrolling for dog jokes on Facebook.


1 comment:

  1. I learned the hard way to set the timer. Almost burned down the house cooking eggs when involved in a good book.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts.

Politics

Politics make me think of the aftermath of the Civil War. I had family on both sides of the Civil War. It is with a bit of irony that Georgi...